Let’s be honest. Mondays can be frantic and downright terrible. I’m only being negative because I wish I was outside in this beautiful Arizona weather right instead of being stuck in a cubicle. I don’t think anything can compete with Arizona fall weather. Anywho, even though it’s cooling down out there, it’s still important to stay hydrated!
I have been sipping on water infused with cucumbers and lemon slices – super refreshing! 🙂
All you need is a mason jar, some cucumbers, lemons and well… water. Super simple!
As I mentioned in a previous post, I’ve been slowly transitioning into a lifestyle that is not-so-dependent on things to help me get through the day. I used to suffer from insomnia which would not only make me feel extremely sluggish the next day, but it would also trigger migraines. My go-to remedy at that time? A whole pot full of strong coffee.
You may have heard that caffeine helps ease the pain and tension often associated with migraines. If you’re one of those people, then you’re very lucky – my body responds the exact opposite way. So while I was pounding coffee to make deadlines, I was also knocking back bottles upon bottles of pain reliever. I couldn’t help but think that if I nixed this coffee-tylenol cocktail from my daily regimen, I may start feeling like a normal human-being again.
I recently read an article that suggested drinking warm water with lemon in the morning could energize you just as much – if not more, than the average cup of joe. I was extremely skeptical at first, but I figured what did I have to lose? If I was at a total loss, I could just run to the break room to feed my crazy caffeine addiction.
Also, drinking hot water with lemon helps you reap in TONS of benefits:
- Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
- Balances pH: Drink lemon water everyday and you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity. It helps flush your kidneys and liver and alkalizes your blood.
- Helps with weight loss: The pectin fiber in lemons helps fight hunger cravings
- Aids digestion: Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials and promotes bile production which is key in digestion. Efficient digestion reduces heartburn and constipation.
- Is a diuretic: Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body and purifies it. It helps keeps a healthy urinary tract by immediately pushing toxins out of the body.
- Clears skin: As mentioned above, toxins are purged from the body immediately which helps prevent acne and wrinkles. It will also give you a healthy glow.
- Keeps you Zen: Lemons are packed full of vitamin C. Research has suggested that vitamin C deficiency causes our minds and bodies to stress out. If you’re feeling less than chipper, have a cup – it will make you feel better.
I’m proud to say that I have been sans coffee- or any type of caffeine for that matter, for over a month. I’ve noticed that I sleep much more soundly, rarely get headaches and I don’t feel deprived of any energy whatsoever. As someone who catches every illness that wanders through the halls at work, I’m hoping it will keep my immune system healthy during the colder months. I’ll report back on this later in the year. Cheers!