1/2 cup marinara sauce, divided
1/4 cup gluten free panko breadcrumbs (I use Ian’s)
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. canola oil
1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices on the diagonal (I used chicken for Nick’s)
1 small egg, beaten
1/4 cup grated smoked mozzarella cheese, divided
2 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 tsp. dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat small baking dish with cooking spray, and spread with 2 Tbs. marinara sauce.
- Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning in shallow bowl. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in panko mixture.
- Cook slices in single layer in oil 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until light brown.
- Place half of eggplant slices in single layer in prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with 2 Tbs. mozzarella and 1 tsp. Parmesan. Discard remaining egg and panko.
- Place remaining eggplant slices, remaining sauce, and remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over eggplant in dish. Sprinkle with dried basil. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown.