1 pound broccoli
1 small white onion, diced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp Earth Balance butter
2 tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened soy milk (unsweetened almond or regular cow’s milk works too!)
⅛ tsp salt and pepper, each
Grating of fresh nutmeg
Pinch of rubbed sage
¾ cup grated combination of sharp Cheddar, Parmesan – divided
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Rinse the broccoli and cut into florets, approximately 1″ cubes. Peel the stalks and cut them into pieces as well. Put broccoli and chopped onion in a casserole dish, toss with olive oil and some salt and pepper. Roast broccoli for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the flour. Stir and cook 45 seconds until smooth and beginning to smell toasty.
- Add half the milk and stir briskly to combine. Add the rest of the milk and seasonings.
- Add ½ cup of the cheese and stir to melt.
- Remove broccoli form over after cooked, and pour your cheesy sauce over the broccoli. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle some remaining cheese on top and return casserole dish to the oven for another 15-20 minutes.