Grilled Veggie & Tofu Rice Bowl (GF)
1 1/2 cups jasmine or basmati rice
3 cups water
1 block extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed (I made Nick’s with grilled chicken)
1/4 cup hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
3 bell peppers, cut into fourths
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 avocados, mashed very well
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
salt + pepper, to taste
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- *At least 30 minutes before grilling, soak your skewers (if they are bamboo) in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from charring.
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil, garlic and hot sauce. Add the tofu and toss well. Cover and place in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Make the rice. Add the water to a medium size pot. Bring to a low boil and then add the rice. Stir to combine and then place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to the lowest setting possible. Allow the rice to cook ten minutes on low and then turn the heat off completely and let the rice sit on the stove, covered for another 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Note that rice can cook differently for everyone, this is just what works for me.
- Pre heat the grill to medium high heat.
- Add the bell peppers to a gallon size ziplock bag. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Seal the bag and shake well so the veggies are coated with olive oil.
- Remove the tofu from the fridge and skewer it.
- Grill the tofu for 3-4 minutes per side, gently flipping 2-3 times until cooked through and has light char marks. While the tofu is grilling grill the bell peppers for about 5 minutes flipping once or twice during cooking.
- Remove everything from the grill and let cool 5 minutes. Once cool slice the red peppers into strips.
- Add the mashed avocados to a bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, parsley, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the rice evenly. Top each bowl of rice with equal amounts of tofu and grilled peppers. Add a large dollop of the avocados and then add the fresh tomatoes. Sprinkle with blue cheese if desired. Serve warm.