I’m not really a “sweets” person. I’ve always considered myself to be more of a “salt tooth” but when you throw raspberries into the mix, I’m game. I made these just to see what gluten-free cupcakes taste like. Man, am I glad I took a stab at this recipe – they are absolutely delicious!
Chocolate Frosted Cupcakes with Raspberries (GF)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Raspberries to garnish
For the frosting:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin tin with paper cupcake liners
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer, preferably fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy – about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk. Combine milk and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- With the mixer on low, add half the flour mixture to the butter, then the milk mixture and finally the rest of the flour.
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes or until they feel springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes in the pan then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.
For the frosting:
- In a large saucepan, combine the coconut oil, butter, and chocolate chips. Melt over low heat until smooth, stirring frequently, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the cocoa powder and salt.Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the heavy cream, sour cream, and vanilla; whisk to combine.
- Alternately add the powdered sugar and cream mixture to the melted chocolate mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes and top with raspberries.