To be honest, this recipe was supposed to be a slaw – but my clumsy self broke the shredder attachment on my food processor (BIG surprise – not). So, in a panic and in desperate need to use up my 2 lb bag of brussels sprouts and the head of radicchio sitting in my crisper, I decided to turn this slaw into a salad.
This slaw or salad is a great addition to any bbq or pasta dish. Here is my recipe:
- 1 1/2 tsp. plus 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, plus more, to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and fibrous stems removed
- 1 small head radicchio, quartered and cored
- 2 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
- 3 Tbs. maple syrup
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Shred the brussels sprouts and radicchio. Transfer to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and maple syrup. Slowly whisk in the 1/4 cup olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Add half of the dressing to the brussels sprout-radicchio mixture and toss well to combine, adding more dressing as needed. Let stand for 15 minutes to slightly wilt the brussels sprouts. Top with the pecans and serve immediately.