Okay, I’ll admit it. We all need to indulge sometimes. That time happened to be this past holiday weekend. Instead of being healthy and making some clean tacos, Nick grilled up burgers and I made my version of the grilled cheese served by In-N-Out.
I used to live on these things when I was studying at ASU, but like most women – I can’t eat how I used to when I was in college. And that was only 3 years ago (sigh). But I firmly believe that “treating yourself” every now and then helps you stay on the right track. And in my defense, I did serve it alongside a kale salad. Here is my recipe for the infamous grilled cheese that even meat-eaters will love.
For the sandwich:
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 jar dill pickle chips
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (or both)
- 1 package sliced cheddar cheese
- 1 package gluten-free hamburger buns
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
For the secret sauce:
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayo
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Prepare the secret sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the ketchup, sweet pickle relish, mayo, sugar and white wine vinegar. Set aside until ready to use.
- With oven preheated to 400 degrees, bake whole buns in oven for two minutes. Next, heat one tablespoon of oil in a large saute pan. Open the buns and place face-down in pan. Cook until buns are lightly toasted. Adding more vegetable oil as needed, toast remaining buns. Set aside.
- Next, assemble the burgers. Spread secret sauce on the bottom bun. Layer tomato slices, lettuce and burger with cheese. Depending on preference, top with pickles, sliced onions or both. Finally, complete with the top bun. Enjoy immediately.