Excuse me for my absence… got a lot going on in FBV land. I didn’t really do much cooking over the weekend – Nick was busy working and I got a glorious weekend all to myself. I literally got nothing done – NOTHING. But some weekends are made for doing nothing, right?? In the spirit of not lifting a finger at all this weekend, I decided to order in on Friday AND Saturday… I never do that!
Any who, I was feeling a bit inspired yesterday – not too inspired since this dish only took about 20 minutes to make haha. I was inspired by my favorite dish at Pei Wei (judge me if you want, but some of their dishes are irresistible) known as Mongolian Tofu. My version didn’t turn out exactly like you get in the restaurant, but was still yummy. With Nick’s we just pan-fried some chicken in place of the the tofu… and mushrooms – Nick hates mushrooms.
We served our proteins over a bed of Farmer’s Market Fried Rice – you know, just like that recipe I made a couple of weeks ago… except I added some broccoli and carrots to this one.
Happy Monday everyone!
Mongolian Tofu and Mushrooms:
- 2 teaspoons chili sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar vegetable oil, for frying (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large green onions, sliced on the diagonal into one-inch lengths
- 1 block of extra firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms
- Make the sauce by heating 2 tsp of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over med/low heat.
- Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches.
- Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove it from the heat and dip the tofu pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides..
- Let the tofu sit for about 2 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.
- Heat up one cup of oil in a wok (you may also use a skillet for this step as long as the beef will be mostly covered with oil) over medium heat and add tofu and mushrooms. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce, cook for one minute while stirring, then add all the green onions.
- Cook for one more minute, then remove the tofu, mushrooms and onions with tongs or a slotted spoon to a serving plate. Serve over rice.