Rainbow Chopped Salad (V)(GF)
the salad ingredients:
large head of romaine
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 large orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
1/2 english cucumber, chopped
2 cups corn
1/2 red onion, chopped
Cilantro-Avocado Dressing (V)(GF)
the dressing ingredients:
1 cup loosely packed cilantro, stems removed and roughly chopped
1 avocado, smashed
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime), more to taste
1 to 2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup avocado oil (or olive oil)
1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar1 tsp. agave nectar
1/8 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: puree all ingredients in a food processor/blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Finely chop romaine, bell pepper, tomatoes and onion.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Toss with desired dressing and serve.
Grilled Veggies in a Tomato-Cilantro-Turmeric Sauce (V)(GF)
2 large plum tomatoes, coarsely grated on a box grater
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup pure olive oil
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tbsp. turmeric
1 lemon, juiced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
Vegetable oil, for brushing
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a food processor, combine the grated tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, turmeric and cilantro. Pulse until smooth. Add the veggies to marinade and coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Light a grill. Thread the veggies onto metal skewers (if you’re using bamboo skewers, make sure you soak them for 30 minutes prior to grilling), leaving a small space between each piece. Brush the veggies with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 10minutes.
- Use extra sauce for dipping. :)
Farmer’s Market Fried Rice (GF)
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons peanut oil or canola oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 cup 1/4-inch diced, peeled and cored parsnips
- 4 medium Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups cold cooked brown rice
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl in 2 teaspoons oil, coating the bottom completely. Add beaten eggs and cook, tilting to cover the surface as thinly as possible to make an egg pancake. When the pancake is just set, 30 seconds to 1 minute, flip using a metal spatula and allow it to set for about 5 seconds. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Swirl 1 tablespoon oil into the wok, add garlic and shallots and stir-fry, using a metal spatula, until fragrant, 10 seconds. Add parsnips and Brussels sprouts, reduce the heat to medium-high and stir-fry until the vegetables are nearly cooked through, about 2 minutes. Swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, add rice, tomatoes and soy sauce and stir-fry, breaking up the rice, until heated through, 2 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro, salt and pepper; add the egg pieces and toss to combine.
Toast with Avocado-Basil Spread & Sliced Tomatoes (GF)
2 slices gluten-free toast (I used Udi’s)
3 medium avocados (ripe)
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tbsp non-fat Greek yogurt
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
salt & pepper to taste
- In a food processor, combine basil leaves and olive oil, pulsing until fine.
- Add in avocado, Greek yogurt and lemon juice, blending until smooth.
- This spread recipe yields eight servings – yay leftovers! This spread is great on sandwiches, in pasta salad and as a dip. So yummy! :)