1/2 cup marinara sauce, divided
1/4 cup gluten free panko breadcrumbs (I use Ian’s)
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/2 tsp. canola oil
1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices on the diagonal (I used chicken for Nick’s)
1 small egg, beaten
1/4 cup grated smoked mozzarella cheese, divided
2 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 tsp. dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat small baking dish with cooking spray, and spread with 2 Tbs. marinara sauce.
- Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning in shallow bowl. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in panko mixture.
- Cook slices in single layer in oil 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until light brown.
- Place half of eggplant slices in single layer in prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with 2 Tbs. mozzarella and 1 tsp. Parmesan. Discard remaining egg and panko.
- Place remaining eggplant slices, remaining sauce, and remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over eggplant in dish. Sprinkle with dried basil. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
3 cups brown rice
1 tbsp coconut oil
4 scallions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper (I used red)
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tsp hot chili powder
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 can black beans, drained
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp plain greek yogurt if desired
- Cook the brown rice according to the instructions on the packet. I use the microwaveable organic brown rice packets from Trader Joe’s - HUGE time saver.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan, and cook the onions, garlic and pepper over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes, along with the chilli powder and paprika, and cook for a few more minutes. Squash the tomatoes a little with your spoon to release their juices. Add the black beans, and season to taste.
- When the rice is cooked, drain it and add it to the bean mixture. If the mixture seems a little dry, add a dash of water.
- When the mixture is hot and well combined, serve topped with the grated cheese and fresh cilantro. I topped Nick’s with some slow-cooked pulled pork that I made over the weekend. :)