- 1/2 cup uncooked green lentils
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 heaping cups finely chopped cremini mushrooms
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup green apple, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ground flax + 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fried eggs, grilled onions, lettuce and sliced onion to garnish
- Add lentils into a medium pot along with 2 and 1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer for about 20 minutes, uncovered, adding more water if the lentils dry out. Once the lentils are fork tender, remove from heat and mash with a potato masher until it’s a coarse paste with some lentil pieces still intact. Set aside.
- In a very large skillet or wok, add the oil along with the finely chopped mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt. Saute over medium-high heat for about 7-9 minutes, until most of the water cooks off. Now add the spinach, onion, oregano.. Stir until combined and continue cooking for another few minutes until the spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and stir in the mashed lentils when ready.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flax and water. Stir for 10 seconds and then immediately pour into the skillet mixture. Stir to combine. Now stir in the 1/2 cup flax meal. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The mixture should be fairly moist and sticky. If it’s way too sticky, add a bit more oat flour. If it’s dry, add another tbsp of water.
- Heat some more oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, form mixture into hamburger patties.
- Fry each patty for 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve with a fried egg, lettuce, grilled onions and sliced tomatoes.
Sweet Potato Fries (GF)(V)
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut in half and then lengthwise to make sticks
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 heaping teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Combine sweet potatoes, spices, herbs and olive oil in a bowl. Place on rimmed baking sheet – do not overlap fries, use two sheets if necessary.
- Cook in heated oven for about 25-30 minutes – carefully flipping each fry halfway through cooking time.
- Once out of the oven, season with salt and a sprinkle of herbs – if you used them.