I LOVE quinoa. Nick hates it. Well – hate is a strong word, so let’s just say it’s not his “favorite.” My cooking mantra is: If it doesn’t taste good, put cheese on it. Most of the time, this mantra works… especially in this case. If you love mac n’ cheese but want to make it a little healthier by adding protein and cutting carbs, then this recipe is for you. I paired it with some savory grilled tofu (Nick made chicken with the same marinade) and my Crispy Lemon Roasted Brussels Sprouts. TDF.
Quinoa “Mac n’ Cheese” Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 shallot, sliced
- good pinch of salt
- a few grinds of seasoning salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup soy milk or non-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, more for sprinkling
- 4 oz smoked mozzarella, cubed
- Optional- Crushed Red Pepper, Panko Bread crumbs for topping
- Toppings (optional)- salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, scallions
- Lightly saute garlic and shallot over medium heat.
- Cook quinoa to packaged instructions until fully cooked. (About 15 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13×9 inch dish( or 8 individual ramekins) with cooking spray.Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese. Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt. Transfer to prepared baking dish and if using Panko Crumbs or Bread crumbs add now and bake 30-35 mins, until bread crumbs are browned.
Grilled Tofu Ingredients:
- Extra-firm tofu, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Remove tofu from package and drain. Meanwhile, mix all the other ingredients together in a shallow bowl.
- After the tofu is done draining, slice into 3/4 inch thick strips.
- Place slices in the marinade and allow to site for at least 10 minutes.
- While the tofu is marinading, heat an indoor grill pan (or outdoor grill) to medium heat.
- Grill tofu for 3 minutes on each side.