I can understand the difficulties people have with Tofu. I mostly hear: It’s too spongey, it’s watery, it’s bland. This doesn’t always have to be the case. In fact, I’m going to give you my secret tricks on how to drain your Tofu to perfection. So, say goodbye, to watery tofu – this tutorial will result in Tofu that is perfect in texture and can absorb a lot of flavor. Brace yourselves, it’s simpler than you think.
1) Pour off all excess water.
2) Wrap the tofu in two paper towels.
3) Wrap the paper towel-wrapped tofu in a kitchen towel.
4) Fill a tea kettle half way and set on top on the tofu (or anything that adds a little pressure and has a flat bottom)and let sit for 20 minutes or longer.
5) After 20 minutes, the towel should be soaked through and the tofu nice and firm.
**If you buy tofu in bulk, freeze it. After you defrost your tofu, you can literally just squeeze out the water with your bare hands. Freezing tofu changes the texture and will allow you rid the water without crumbling the block. Any questions? Comment and I’ll answer!